Reclaimed Wood Tables

Sunday, April 15, 2012
When we walked through our home for the first time we thought it might have a cellar. Turns out we weren't alone in that assumption.  There was a wood platform in the flower bed and everyone who came to the door would say, "Is that the entrance to your cellar?"

Don't forget to check out the Before and After Gallery on the pages link at the top right, after this post!


A cellar in an 80's built Utah home? Eventually we found out from the neighbors that the original owners built the platform for a porch swing. Once the snow melted and we started on the yard we pulled it out of the flower bed. When we flipped it over we both had the same idea! It was redwood that had probably been aging for about 15-20 years. The underneath had been painted and the paint was beginning to flake off. The wood was in fairly good shape and the paint was safe... We decided to make furniture out of it!


We gently scraped off any loose paint with a putty knife.



Yes, in less than 6 months I decorated and then redecorated the entry. But I'm set on this.


Matching set of tables, entry and console, viewable from the entry.

I still can't believe we were able to make two tables out of that platform, and the one under the TV is 72"W x 20"D x 36"H. I saw a man throwing away really neat looking old wood at the dump a couple weeks ago, I don't think he realized it's value. I just shook my head, but had I seen then what I'm about to show you, I would have asked for it!

Restoration Hardware Catalog: 72" Table: 72"W x 39"D x 30"H .
Price
$2695 ea Special $2290 ea

See for yourself: Restoration Hardware Reclaimed Wood Table

Morale of the Story: Unless its rotted, don't throw out your old wood. Keep it or list it for sale!
Building the entry table took Jayson about 30 minutes (or less) and the entertainment console took about 45 minutes. They seem to blend in with my eclectic style. I'm going for a careful balance of chic meets traditional, so some sparkle and clean lines, with traditional furnishings and details.

I'm loving my tables!!!

1 comments:

Trisha said...

OK Really? You guys have vision! I cannot tell you how much I love these tables. I really want to be able make things like this! I started working in January and am just now catching up on blog reading. Yours is inspirational! Can you come decorate mine next?

Post a Comment